Sunday 29 April 2007

Shadowbrook by Beverly Swerling



I've just completed this very long but compelling book called "Shadowbrook". Not one of my usual choices but it was on special when I was buying big from QBD a little while ago and I liked what the blurb said so thought why not.

What I didn't count on was the descriptive language and the background history that the author put into the book. She has obviously spent a lot of time researching the for this story.

Set in America during the war between the British and French with everyone in between, Indians and Americans. There are 2 main characters - Quent and Cormac. The tale takes us on their journey through war, love, death, family, religion and politics. Being "bridge" people they live their lives between the whites and the Native Indians. Following a dream that Cormac has they attempt to bring peace between both sides and in doing so rid them both of the French.

I enjoyed it imensely however be prepared for a long read. It took a while for me to finish it and I'm normally pretty quick but that could be because I haven't read this type of book for a long time and also didn't know much of the history of the time in America.

No comments: