Sunday 29 April 2007

Sabriel, Lirael & Abhorsen - Garth Nix


I've just finished the last of the series - Abhorsen. I must say that I really enjoyed Garth Nix's writing - this series is called the "Old Kingdom Trilogy" (also known as The Abhorsen Trilogy). The story starts with Sabriel - a young girl about to leave school in the Southern Kingdom and who's father the Abhorsen in the Northern Kingdom disappears. Its a story of her journey of discovery, finding out who she really is and what she is capable of. Along the way she meets Touchstone, who also discovers what he's made off.


It journeys into "Death" with the bells of the Abhorsen and the various gates that await those and the perils.


The second book Lirael is about a young girl who just doesn't fit where she is - it too is a story of her journey of discovery, interlocking into the story of Sabriels family. There is also a great character in this called "The Disreputable Dog" who is her true friend.


The final book Abhorsen brings all the story together and to and end as such - however you are left wanting a little bit more.


A great read for all - even though it was found in the "Teen Section" of my local bookstore. Interestingly my middle daughter (who's 12) who I thought would like it did not like it as much as I did. She preferred another series of Garth Nix - "The Keys of the Kingdom".


No comments: